Every new parent waits eagerly for the arrival of their baby's first tooth.
When should your baby see the dentist?
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the first dental visit at one year of age to help establish a dental home. At Atlanta Pediatric Dental Specialists, we encourage your child's first visit at one year of age. A big concern at this age is early childhood caries. The most important reason to see a dentist early is to establish a good prevention program and to identify and eliminate any factors that put your child at risk for caries.
What can I expect at the first visit?
1. We will show you around our office and introduce you to our staff.
2. Dr. Krieger will complete an oral examination of your baby. Our doctors and staff are trained to make the initial examination easy for you and your child.
3. We will discuss oral hygiene and show you how to care for your baby's teeth.
4. We will discuss fluoride intake and usage.
5. We will give you diet advice and give you tips to avoid future cavities created by harmful dietary habits.
6. We will begin to monitor your child's growth and development.
7. Dr. Krieger will discuss injury prevention and what to do if your child has a dental injury.